Our client is a Canadian manufacturer operating in the food processing industry that produces for the retail, foodservice and wholesale markets. On their behalf, we are currently looking for a:
Research & Development Manager
Reporting to the Director FSQA, the R&D Manager is responsible for overseeing all R&D activities, developmental processes of new products, ingredients or raw materials within the organization, from the initial planning phase to implementation and production. The R&D Manager should also stay informed on what is happening in the research and development field at large, in order to ensure the company is up-to-date and current with the most advanced R&D developments and product trends.
- Drive innovation. Oversee all aspects of research programs and experiments, including budgeting and cost forecasting of technical developments. Accountable for development and maintenance of raw materials, products, and process specifications.
- Develop research programs to improve existing products and study new product potential.
- Analyze information in order to develop new products; plan and organize the laboratory and run plant trials; prepare and submit technical information; supervise product implementation and ensure that new raw materials required are consistently available for commercial production.
- Establish and maintain testing procedures for assessing raw materials, in both processed and finished products.
- Ensure product consistency in compliance with established standards and regulatory requirements of all products; take pre-emptive actions to uphold the integrity and image of the company.
- Review and evaluate non-conforming products or ingredients, identify corrective actions with concerned departments and put in place procedures to prevent product quality problems.
- Monitor project progress, provide regular updates of regulatory affairs and emerging issues suitable for presenting to Senior Management; identify road blocks that may cause delays or impact quality.
- Identify raw material substitutes for cost-saving opportunities, margin improvement or quality issues; assess suppliers and make recommendations and / or play a key role in selecting and qualifying new vendors as required.
- Provide Technical Support and collaborate closely with all relevant stakeholders to support operational excellence and quality standards.
- Coordinate and support those involved in R&D projects and the laboratory, by providing critical technical expertise, methods and tools to succeed at assigned tasks or projects.
- Prepare a variety of comprehensive administrative and technical documents and reports, propose R & D projects that qualify for tax credits.
The successful candidate will be results-oriented, thrive in a dynamic environment, and have the ability to develop positive working relationships with all employees. Candidates must have:
- University degree or college diploma, preferably in chemistry, microbiology, food science or a related discipline, a Master in Science is an asset.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience as R&D Supervisor or Manager in a food processing company.
- Experience in basic food chemistry, basic microbiology, allergen controls, auditing, GFSI/BRC, sanitation and an understanding of HACCP, CCP’S, GMO’s principles. JACCP trained and certified preferred.
- Highly skills in project management.
- Ability to address and manage collaborative relationships with CFIA.
- Proven leadership skills with ability to effectively communicate to all levels, both internally and externally.
- Detail and results oriented.
- Collaborative team player across the organization.
- Proficient in French and English, both spoken and written.
- Proficient in MS Office tools (Excel and Word).
- Ability and willingness to travel up to 20% of the time.
If you believe you have the profile our client is looking for, please email your resume to the Montreal EMA Partners office at email@example.com specifying project number 180605. All information received will be treated in a confidential manner and only candidates retained for consideration will be contacted.